Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Good Cause...

Four years ago my sister came to me with an idea...run a marathon. I thought she was nuts until she told me why. She wanted to do it through Team in Training and raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. (I raised over $3,500) Our Uncle Randy had died of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years before that and we were going to run in memory of him. So...the training began. Now I had NEVER been a runner, so it was all very new to me. Half way through training my sister's foot got injured and she was unable to run. I trudged ahead. That June I ran the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego. Hands down, it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. My sister went ahead and came even though she couldn't run and met me at the 24 mile mark to go in with me. It was so weird because as I finished I expected to be exhausted, but I wasn't...I felt energized. I know that Uncle Randy was smiling down on me. Well, the Long family is at again. This time, I will be on the sidelines cheering family on. My Dad and sister are currently training for a 100 mile bike ride through Lake Tahoe this June! Again, they are doing it through Team in Training and to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. They each have to raise $3,800 this time. I am so proud of them for taking this on!!! They started a blog where they are posting stories about their bike rides if you want to check it out: www.ridin4randy.blogspot.com. I can't wait for this June to see them in action! I told Kelly that maybe one day he, Hudson, and I can all do something as a family for LLS...who knows...maybe the entire family can do something together. I wouldn't put anything past us now! :)
The morning of the marathon...Shani got up at the crack of dawn and "suited up" with me!
This was me after completing the marathon. Don't ya just love the Texas shorts? :)

No comments: