Monday, August 11, 2008

"Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven." ~Henry Ward Beecher

Our Pregnancy Story:

Kelly and I had been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months. I started and ended each day with a prayer, knowing God had a plan. My sister's birthday is December 30th, so all of the family came down to celebrate her birthday and New Year's Eve. I thought there was a chance I could be pregnant, so the morning of December 31st, 2006, Kelly went to get a paper and a pregnancy test. (What a combination huh?) It is funny because I normally had a stash of tests in the bathroom, but had run out from taking them like crazy the month before. I also had grand ideas of how I would tell Kelly and the rest of the family when I finally was pregnant, but none of that happened! Well, Kelly got home and we stood and said a prayer while we waited. When we turned around, the test flashed PREGNANT! We hugged and cried and then proceeded to wake the rest of the family up with the news. It was by far the best New Year's Eve ever ~ I couldn't quit smiling all night.

Kelly and I before leaving to celebrate!

I truly had a wonderful pregnancy...I had the usual fatigue and nausea at the beginning, but everything went smooth and I truly loved being pregnant. Hudson was due September 11th, but something (along with family) kept telling me to have everything ready a month early. With my somewhat obsessive personality, that wasn't hard to do! :) August 11th, I was helping host a baby shower for my dear friend Leslie. The day before my fingers started swelling and I had to get a fake wedding ring. Then, the day of the shower my ankles started swelling like crazy. We just assumed it was due to the heat and being on my feet all day. So, Sunday I tried to relax as much as possible. I didn't feel very well though, so I didn't eat dinner and went to bed early. Little did we know...

This was my last "pregnancy" picture the day before Hudson arrived.

Early the next morning I woke up for one of many restroom trips at 5:30 and realized that something wasn't quite right. I tried to go back to bed, but got up again and decided my water might be breaking. I woke Kelly up to tell him and he practically flew out of bed! We called the doctor and the doctor on call said we needed to head to the hospital. I of course (being me) asked if I had time to shower and she said yes! So, I got ready as Kelly madly packed up the car and checked batteries. (I had packed my overnight bag the day before!) We called the grandparents and friends on the way and arrived at the hospital at 7:30.

Kelly on the way to the hospital.

Kelly was so excited the entire way to the hospital. I had mixed emotions since Hudson wasn't due for another month...I was a little scared that something might be wrong and that he would be too small. Also, since it was our first baby and I didn't really know what was going on, I wasn't totally convinced that my water had broken. (Although something was definitely happening!)

When we got checked in, they had me change into a gown and the sweetest nurse ever came to check me. We were shocked to find out that I was 4 centimeters dilated! They said I would be having a baby that day. At that point, all of the family and some of our wonderful friends started arriving. All of my Oklahoma family made it just in time to see was perfect!
Our last picture as a family of two!

Not long after being hooked up to all of the machines, my blood pressure spiked and they had to put me on magnesium. The magnesium was probably the worst thing out of my pregnancy and makes you feel like you are on fire and like you have the flu...not fun! I started getting uncomfortable after a few hours and asked for the epidural. (Love the epidural!) Dr. Elliott came to check me around 12:45 and I was fuly dilated. It was time to begin pushing! I couldn't believe how fast everything was moving at that point. I began pushing at 1:00 and Hudson arrived at 3:39. Yes, 2 1/2 hours of pushing! I remember talking up a storm the first 2 hours. Dr. Elliott, Allison (the sweet nurse), Kelly and I learned a lot about each other and we were laughing and telling all sorts of stories in between pushes. Then, I remember the last half hour getting really tired and everyone just telling me that Hudson was almost there...they were all so supportive and I couldn't have asked for a more positive bunch of people. Hudson finally arrived and he was5 pounds, 10 ounces and was 18 1/2 inches long. He was small, but he was perfect!

Hudson's first picture in the labor and delivery room.

Meeting Mommy for the first time. Is there anything sweeter than that moment? I wish I could freeze time and go back there every so often.
Our new family!
They let Kelly go into the nursery and help put Hudson's first diaper on after his bath. We truly loved the hospital and everyone in it.
All swaddled up.
This is a picture the next day when they came to take his hospital pictures. It shows just how small he was. It is so hard to believe he was ever that little...sweet baby boy. He will be one in two days...unbelievable!


Grow with Griffin said...

Gosh! I remember all of this like it was just yesterday. I can not get over how fast the day has gotten here!! Sweet Baby Boy! We were so happy to be there for all of it and can't wait to share in celebrating Hudson's first year of life and look forward to the many fun years ahead!

Aday Family said...

I just seemed like yesterday that that we were walking every morning! Here we are a year later and both of us have a great big (little) bundle of joy! I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Kara Wilson said...

What a sweet pregnancy & birth story! I loved reading it. It was SO much fun going through pregnancy with you & I just love raising our sweet boys together!!!